Saturday, October 8, 2016

Using Microsoft Azure with Dynamics CRM

I've always been uncomfortable with the word "can't", especially when it comes to software. My manager at Onyx Software around 2002, John Hawk, once told his team that it's "just a matter of moving data from here to there" and that has always stuck with me. Sure, it can be difficult to move lots of data quickly, transform it for different systems, analyze it for meaning, present it clearly, etc. but there's usually a way to do all of those things. "Can't" should not be allowed in the room.

Every experienced Dynamics CRM user/admin/dev should spend some time each week answering questions on the Dynamics CRM forums. I try to answer a few questions each week. I especially like the questions or responses that use that word -- can't. My immediate response it, "oh yeah, let's see about that".

One cure for the Dynamics CRM can't's is Microsoft Azure. Azure means "world of possibilities"... in some language, I'm sure of it. These cloud services open up a myriad of possibilities for any company or organization to further automate the business, provide better customer service, make better decisions and lower costs.

So far, as I write this, I've listed 43 ways that those responsible for Dynamics CRM in their company can improve CRM with Azure. I came up with a lot of them in response to that word in the CRM forums. "I can't schedule a job to run against CRM data." Yes, you can, with a scheduled WebJob or other scheduled service. "Without writing code, I can't create an Excel file, populate it from CRM data and store it on SharePoint." Yes, you can, with an Azure Logic App or Microsoft Flow.

There are already several ways to link CRM and Azure (Service Endpoints, WebHooks, REST, etc.) and this will continue to expand. There will come a day when CRM administrators will be seamlessly using Azure services without seeing that it's "Azure". Perhaps CRM's workflows can start an "extended workflow" (really an Azure Flow workflow) or a CRM form can interact with a Node.js app (running as an Azure Function). Whatever Microsoft comes up with, the can't's won't stand a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment