Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I just want to copy all entity notes to the Windows Clipboard!

A client called me up today and asked how she can copy all of the notes written for an entity to the Windows Clipboard. (Her company is still on version 3.0.) I told her "All you have to do is click the Notes tab on the entity record, click inside the Notes area, press Ctrl+A to copy all of the text, and then press Ctrl+C to copy the text." Her response: "Um, that doesn't work."

What!? Come on, that has to work. But then it hit me... that doesn't work... I tried that in 4.0 recently and it didn't work there either.

She needed all of the notes copied out of the entity ASAP so here's the "work around" (because isn't this really a feature flaw?!) I gave her:

1) Open the entity record.
2) Click the Print button.
3) Set the printer to Microsoft XPS Document Writer.
4) Click Print and provide a file name.
5) Open that file... it loads in IE. You can then highlight the text and copy it to the clipboard.

She said, hesitantly... "Okay, um, thanks."

The next time I'm in working on her company's system I'll create a solution (likely a report) that makes copying notes to the clipboard much easier, but if you're reading this and realize that I completely missed a built-in way of copying all entity notes please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment